Grandparents were down here in Melbourne the other day and I wanted to bake a little something for them. So I made my grandpa's favourite, scones. And yes, I got his seal of approval from using this very simple, easy recipe.
adapted from Pixi Wishes and Forehead Kisses
4 cups of self-raising flour
3 tbsps caster sugar
4 tbsps of butter
1 3/4 cups of buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C.
- Combine the flour, sugar and butter into a milk and knead it together until you get a breadcrumb consistency.
- Pour in the buttermilk and gently mix it until a soft dough is formed. Continue to knead the dough until it all comes together.
- Roll out the dough onto a floured surface until it is about 3 cm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out your scones and place it on your baking tray.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until it is slightly golden on the outside.
- Serve with jam and whipped cream.